Saturday, May 21, 2011

Madeba, Mt. Nebo, Jaresh.

(Sorry people, haven't had internet in days! I'm at an internet cafe right now and this is my post of the first full day, but I literally have to be back on the bus in <1 minute so it'll have to do! Love you all!)

Today I awoke bright eyed and bushy tailed and headed off for the day. That lasted until about noon, when I got pretty droopy, and by five when we returned to our hotel I felt like curling up into a ball and sleeping for three days.


Our first stop was at a Greek Orthodox Church in Madeba that was filled with mosaics. It was really amazing! I spent time wondering how on earth they find the stones in all the right colors that they need. Do they just walk around outside and pick up stones for days and then make something out of them??? I don't know. But it blew my mind. On the walk in, there were all of these Muslim Barbies for sale, which I found hilarious and had to take a picture!


After that adventure, we headed to Mt. Nebo, where apparently Moses got to view the promised land from. But I didn't realize that until AFTER we were there, which is kinda sad :( Also, there were randomly chickens up there on the mountain, as well as a full out turkey. I took a picture of it to bring joy to my dad, who lent me his awesome camera for this trip!



A Roman theater
 The last stop of the day was Jaresh, the ruins of a Greek/Roman city. The ruins were really wonderful and gorgeous. Unfortunately, the little beggar children were not so fabulous, and the beggar gypsy women with their little babies were just totally depressing. I had a major guilt trip from not giving them any money. Dang.





All in all, the views from the day were totally mind boggling. The desert hills and sands have been so crazy different from anything I've ever seen before. It's great, but really hot, too. It's exhausting and makes us really dehydrated and we're supposed to be drinking all sorts of water, but the tap water in Jordan is not recommended for drinking. So if we run out and we aren't near someplace to buy more bottled water, we're kinda screwed. Whatever, I haven't died yet.....

2 comments:

  1. yay! thanks for keeping us 'posted' on your adventures! sounds like the first full day was fascinating! drink your water...keep Aleena bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! love you leenie-bopper. xoxo ~mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool... wild Mountain Chickens! I liked the picture of the Greyhound too. The desert heard one and the view of the valley is very neat as well! Drink Aleena Drink!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete