Saturday, May 21, 2011

Le Deuxième Jour, Mercredi. (The second day, Wednesday)

These are a few random pictures from the bus ride to Petra:
These prices are in dinars...$1 = .75 dinars. Do the math :)



Crazy scorpion-like bulldozer thing!
 On Wednesday, we went to see Petra, which was named the second wonder of the world in 2007. Yea, I guess it’s a pretty big deal. For me, it involved getting incredibly sunburned. Fuuuun. But really, Petra was cool. It took us about three hours to get there from Amman, it is an area that just fully survives on the tourism industry there. In fact, tourism is the third biggest industry that Jordan has, and they think that in a few years it will be number one.

Petra is this old Edomite city, then Nabatean city and eventually Roman as well. I’m not really sure of the significance of it, other than it’s like all mostly intact down there… It was pretty awesome. It took like an hour and a half to walk into the main part, and then I didn’t even go in as far as I possibly could have. I went up instead, and didn’t even make it all the way up the cliff thing that I was climbing. But it was far enough. Because I was totally exhausted by the time I got back. I did get to ride a horse some of the way back, which actually wasn’t even faster than walking, because a man was walking me along anyway. But that’s okay, at least it was a change of…something other than pace, anyway.
An altar for making sacrifices from

The temple, the first thing you reach in Petra.


A greyhound at our lunch location :)



After Petra, we went to a Bedouin camp for the night in Wadi Rum. It was a long ride into the middle of nowhere and it seemed a little bit strange. Not to mention I guzzled a ton of water after getting back to the bus in Petra, so I had to pee on the stinking bus!! It was dirty and dark and gross and there was a cheetah print fabric seat cover in there—talk about germs! Ew. But I did it because it was that desperate of a situation. 


This wasn't actually taken on the mountain though.
When we got to the camp, Jabal Rum, we got there just in time to climb up and watch the sunset. Except I really kinda missed the sun setting part…. Oh well, the colors were really pretty anyway. That night we ate dinner that had been cooked in a way that was sort of an underground barbeque pit, which was interesting, and then we had an imitation of a wedding. I’m pretty sure that we were worshipping Allah at some point during that ceremony, but I really have no idea what was going on, so I can’t be sure. 



Jordann, Carina, and I had put on skirts for the evening, and I was wearing a scarf tucked over my head and shoulders so that I could keep my sunburn from getting cold, and when I got pulled into the middle of the dancing circle, the man plucked it off of my head and wrapped it around in the traditional Muslim way so that my face was properly covered. It was simultaneously fun and weird/embarrassing. After that, we went to bed in our little tents with our three beds and barely enough room for our suitcases. It was actually pretty good sleeping, but just really bad heat and light that woke me up in the morning.

4 comments:

  1. duexième is second, silly! but you look like you're having an awesome adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dancing sounds awesome Aleena! Nice picture of the three of you! Too bad it's blurry, but keep taking (having someone take them) love to see you in the photos! Take care of that sunburn! No sun here, but the world didn't end... a good thing! :-)

    Love you!
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweet pea (speaking of which...love the peeing on the bus story!),
    Sorry about the sunburn. It's tough going from lily-white winter skin to desert sun! Note to self: take sunscreen to Mississippi.
    So, while Natasha was correcting your French, Chas and I were dining with her parents (and 52 others) at the Gardiner castle. Chas was seated by Jeanne. I was across from Joel Davis--Hannah's dad. Hannah is in India (and loving it!), and then she'll be in Israel through the Leadearth program. You should check that out.
    Take lots of care....and lots of photos, too.
    Love you, ~mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natasha, I KNOW that deuxième is second. I guess I just got confused. I typed all the french titles first and then went back in with the english, so I guess I just got them mized up.

    ReplyDelete