Monday, January 8, 2018

Did You Hear Oprah's Speech?

Did you all watch the Golden Globes last night? Cause I didn't. I'm not really an awards show sort of person, and also I spent most of yesterday in my bed because it was so blasted cold outside. But I kind of was keeping up on what was happening during the Golden Globes because people who were watching were live posting instagram stories about it and I knew before I went to bed that Oprah gave an epic speech that had lots of people in tears. So this morning I watched it. And it was really good.

Then, because I'm such a good friend, I transcribed part of it out for you all:


What I I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have, and I’m especially proud and inspired by all the women who have felt strong enough and empowered enough to speak up and share their personal stories. Each of us in this room are celebrated because of the stories that we tell and this year we became the story. But it’s not just a story affecting the entertainment industry. it’s one that transcends and culture, geography, race religion, politics, or workplace. So I want tonight to express gratitude to all the women who have endured years of abuse and assault because they, like my mother, had children to feed and bills to pay and dreams to pursue. They’re the women whose names we’ll never know. They are domestic workers and farm workers. They are working in factories and they work in restaurants and they’re in academia and engineering and medicine and science. They’re part of the world of tech and politics and business. There are athletes in the the Olympics and there are soldiers in the military. And there’s someone else: Recy Taylor.

And that's about all the transcribing I could do, but you should definitely watch the whole thing. Especially if the name Recy Taylor means nothing to you, because her story is powerful. It's almost ten minutes long, but it's so so worth it. Here it is. You're welcome.


In other news, I have a good feeling about 2018. Despite the horrifically cold days we've been having here in Maine. I think it's going to be a good year.

Still working on my 2018 goals, but one of them is to write 26 blog posts. That's six more than I wrote in 2017 (also, did you all catch that I totally wrote 20 last year?? Goal achieved!), but it's also only one every two weeks. I can do that, right?! RIGHT. So here you have blog post number one for this year. See you all again within the next two weeks. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment