Saturday, May 27, 2017

Life Lately.

A week or two ago I deleted my Facebook. Some of you may have noticed, some might not have. (I usually only notice things that appear rather than disappear- also, I read an article recently about how our brains are hardwired to do that, so whatever.) I haven't missed Facebook at all, though. There have been like two instances where I wanted to be able to look someone from high school up and see where they are now and wasn't able to, but otherwise I've hardly even noticed. I do NOT miss scrolling aimlessly through my Facebook feed looking for something to entertain me. Not at all.

I probably would have deleted it sooner if I knew that you can keep messenger while your profile is deactivated. (Shoutout to my friend Liam for letting me in on that secret!) So now I'm Facebook free and loving it. Not sure anyone will even read this post though, since I think people only see them when I publish to my Facebook wall, but oh well. We'll deal with that later. Right now, I'm simply updating you on my life these days.

It's the end of May and I leave for Europe in just a few short weeks. I have no idea what I'm going to do alone in Greece for a week, but I'm planning to mostly just bum around on the beach. Seems legit to me. Maaaybe I'll come up with something else to do while I'm there, but honestly if all I do is the beach bum thing, I think I'm fine with it.

Last weekend I got to see my childhood camp friend, Hillary, get married to her high school sweetheart. It was a beautiful wedding and honestly one of the most fun weddings I've ever been to, I think. Even though her little brother is totally afraid of me now because I tried to pressure him into dancing (I KNOW he's good at it! I've seen the videos on instagram and stuff!) and he's a 15 year old boy who is not about peer pressure from 26 year old women that he doesn't remember (even though I've totally known him since he was like six!) oh well. After the wedding I got to see my dear friend Simon host and perform in a burlesque show which was also super fun.

All spring long, I've been going to as many of my brother Jon's track meets as I possibly can. Yesterday I had the extreme pleasure of watching him make a new school record and PR by successfully clearing a high jump of six feet four inches. It was incredible. He's also got the school record in hurdles and tied the school record for pole vault. What a champ! He's been all over the Kennebec Journal (our local paper) sports section. If you've missed all that (I almost did, because of not having Facebook) here's the article they wrote just about him. It's pretty great. He's also been mentioned in a few other articles over the past couple weeks because he's basically everyone's favorite person to watch at the meets. Seriously, it's hilarious- all the boys are always whispering "What's Jonny doing now?" and "Has he done his high jump yet?!?" like he's some big celebrity. Also, when he made the 6'4 jump, I swear half the people at the track came over to watch.


Also a few weeks ago my brother Zac graduated from Thomas College- whoop whoop!- and then Jonny went to his senior Prom later the same day. In case any of you missed the photos of that, I will admit that my sister and I dressed up in our own old prom dresses and went down to the boat landing to take pictures with him and his girlfriend. Because obviously my sister and I are the highest quality sort of siblings. (It was actually my idea, and when I mentioned it to Britt that morning she said, "That's the best idea you've ever had!" So then we were definitely doing it even though I think she wanted to chicken out.) It was actually totally hilarious though. We didn't tell anyone we were going to do it and my mom almost fell over laughing when she saw us. I think Jonny was entertained, too.


Other than that, life has been pretty normal around here. I've been trying to get more exercise lately, even though some days it feels like it's going to kill me. I've gotten to eat fiddleheads a few times this spring, which I have enjoyed immensely. Last week I even took showers on two consecutive days (and I might even do it again tomorrow!) so basically I'm killing it on the self-care. You can be proud of me. I'm proud of myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment