Thursday, September 10, 2015

Remembering.


As you all may or may not know, I was in Maine over Labor Day weekend. This trip home came about because one of my oldest friends from school, Natasha, texted me in the wee hours one morning months ago and said that she'd bought us tickets to see Death Cab for Cutie in Portland and that now I just needed to get myself home for it.

That might seem a bit random, but if you understood the fact that Death Cab has been my favorite band since Natasha introduced me to them about ten years ago, it might start to make more sense. In fact, we've been trying to see them in concert for almost that entire decade. Now, I use the term "trying" pretty loosely here to mean "we actually tried once about seven years ago, and want to see them together but haven't lived in the same state since high school so haven't really tried since." You know, the usual meaning of the word "trying."

So anyway, Natasha bought us tickets and I bought a plane ticket and we made our way to Portland last Friday night. Now, I think possibly it would have been better to see them seven years ago when I was actually up to date on their music (I hadn't really listened to their two most recent albums until two weeks ago in preparation for the show), but this show didn't disappoint. They played a really excellent selection of songs from all of their albums throughout the years, so I there were plenty of songs that I know and love in the set that night. And as I frantically listened to "Codes and Keys" and "Kintsugi" (the two most recent albums) over the past couple weeks, I realized that I actually do like them a lot. And the concert reminded me how much I love all the classic songs that I have always liked.

Which brings me to the realization/remembrance of how dearly I love Death Cab for Cutie's music. It's just so special. All of it. So I wanted to share that with all of you. Because chances are, if you take the time to read my blog, I think you're special too.



Above is the song "Passenger Seat," which they performed at the concert and might just be my favorite of all their songs.  (It's hard to choose just one with Death Cab...) The words go:
I roll the window down and then begin to breathe in
The darkest country road and the strong scent of evergreen
From the passenger seat as you are driving me home.
Then looking upwards, I strain my eyes and try
To tell the difference between shooting stars and satellites 
From the passenger seat as you are driving me home.
"Do they collide?" I ask and you smile.
With my feet on the dash the world doesn't matter.
When you feel embarrassed, I'll be your pride.
When you need directions then I'll be the guide.
For all time. For all time.

Lovely, right? Anyway, here are some recordings of a few of my other favorite Death Cab songs. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment