Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Autumn Aspirations.

First of all, happy first day of fall!

Isn't the word "aspiration" interesting? It means both "a hope or ambition of achieving something" and "the action or process of drawing breath." Originally, I intended this blog post title to mean the former, but then I thought about how one of the best parts of fall is breathing in lungfuls of tangy, crisp, air tinged with the scent of mouldering, trodden on foliage. Sigh. So I decided I like it both ways.

Anyway, I was inspired by this post on A Beautiful Mess to make a sort of bucket list for the Autumn of 2015. I am facing the distinct possibility that this could be my last full season in Minneapolis (I said POSSIBILITY, everyone. It's all very undecided still. So nobody needs to either get their hopes up or get their knickers in a twist, as the case may be) which makes me want to take full advantage of my time here.

So, with no further ado, the list of things I wish to accomplish before going home for Christmas (regardless of whether it is a move or just a visit):

1. Pick apples. I learned the other day that the family I work for won't be going to their family friend's farm to pick wild apples this year, so I figured I'd try to get to an orchard myself.

2. Knit something. I haven't really knit anything since moving to Minnesota. Whoops.

3. Bake lots of pies. I don't even eat them all that much, but I used to bake pies quite often and I've gotten out of the habit-- now that I spend five mornings a week baking at a coffeeshop, I do rather less baking on my own time.

4. Bake other things, too. I'm looking at you, anadama bread and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.

5. Go on an adventure. (I'm dearly hoping to make it to North Dakota before I move away from Minnesota.)

6. Dress up for Halloween (I've already got the bones of two separate costumes...neither of them are a skeleton. *ba dum cha*)  Maybe go to a party. Maybe go out dancing. We'll see what happens.

7. Make a leaf crown. I used to do this sometimes, and I miss it.

8. Complete NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November. In a way, this has been a goal of mine for like a decade now. It hasn't happened yet. It's on my 25 before 25 list and this is the last November before I hit a quarter century.

9. Go to a concert. Minneapolis has a great music scene and I need to keep my eyes open more for bands I like coming to town.

10. Drink apple cider. Because duh.

11. Have a Friendsgiving.

12. Work on making Christmas presents instead of buying them. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. As I read your post, I was serenaded by your youngest brother singing the national anthem in the shower....it made reading your list oh so much more special! I do hope you accomplish all these goals and more. Happy autumn! ( and I'm not even going there on the visit/move matter...you know I'll support whatever you decide!) xo -mama

    ReplyDelete