Wednesday, September 19, 2012

On Being American.


Probably anyone reading this blog is sitting somewhere in America, wanting to know what I’ve been up to here in India. Probably, along with the rest of the country, you all have been hearing from the media about the crazy Muslims throughout the eastern world who are attacking US ambassadors and the like. Perhaps you have even been wondering if I’m okay or have had any exposure to these troubles. (Rest assured, I have been completely safe during my stay in India.) In fact, if I were in America, I would probably be sitting in my dorm room, completely in the dark about whatever was happening except for maybe the occasional blurb on Yahoo news. But I’m not in America; I’m in India. I don’t have the luxury of ignorance or nonchalance here because I am in the part of the world where the trouble is. The biggest problems happening in India right now are in Chennai, the capital of Tamil Nadu—which is the state I’m living in. Chennai is quite a distance from my city, but still. It is a little tense even here in Coimbatore. On Friday there was a protest put on by a group of Muslims called the TMMK trying to get the government to ban the film “The Innocence of Muslims” during which an American flag and an effigy of Obama were burned. The US Consulate in Chennai was attacked and has been shut down for the past few days for safety reasons.

It is interesting to read the newspapers here and understand this situation from a non-American perspective. All over the world, Muslims who feel victimized are calling for their governments to ban this offensive film and for the American government to ban it on their end. Coming as I do from a good understanding of what American freedom of speech is, I understand that the leaders of America’s hands are tied. There is nothing they can do to stop the video from being publicized. I get that, and I think that the people criticizing the American government for not taking action need to consider that it would be constitutionally illegal to censor this video. These people are being a little ridiculous by asking for the movie to be banned stateside, in my opinion. That being said, I feel equally endangered by the men who made this movie as I do by the people who are up in arms about it. The producer of the film supposedly said that though it is regrettable that people have died in response to this film, he will not stop its production nor does he regret making it. I was completely appalled by that statement. I haven’t seen the video, but cannot fathom that it is worth the lives of multiple people. What makes them think that their opinions are valuable enough to not even care that people are dying for their offensive content.

It is foolish and unnecessary for the general public of Muslims to resort to violence about some stupid thing that Americans did, because everybody knows that Americans make stupid offensive blunders all the time. But even more horrific and embarrassing to me is that I am from a country where someone can think that his personal opinions are more valuable than another person’s life. How selfish. How uncivilized. And who’s to say that I won’t be the next person harmed over this film? Or the other students in my group, or director of the India Studies Program or one of his young children? Or some other American student studying abroad in a Muslim country, just trying to learn about a different culture, to bridge a gap of misunderstanding and judgment that results in unnecessary violence? We’re just people. Nobody that I’m here with has seen the movie in question, and we certainly weren’t involved in the production of it, but to an angry mob of protesters our pale faces represent a selfish, rude individual who refuses to respect their culture. The color of my skin incriminates me. It is virtually impossible for me to blend in now, which was awkward when I first got here but now would be better described as alarming. I don’t want to die for some arrogant jerk’s video that I haven’t even seen. Yet he doesn’t feel compelled to stop the publication of this film. He doesn’t even feel compelled to adequately apologize. All I can say about this situation is that I am deeply disappointed in both parties responsible for the deaths of these innocent people.  

There was a small article in the newspaper a few days ago that called for the Muslim riot bands to wise up. It said that they were doing more harm than good and destroying anything beneficial that had been accomplished by Arab Spring. The article pointed out that by taking a reasonable and non-violent protest against the offensive video they would have surprised the westerners and probably would have earned some respect and perhaps even made headway in the issue. I was disappointed by just how little space the article took up in the paper because I thought it was well articulated and perfectly reasonable.

Throughout this entire fiasco, I’ve been reflecting on what it means to be an American and be proud of that fact.  During other trips abroad, I’ve been aware of the general view the rest of the world has that Americans are lazy, stupid, rude, and immodest, but it hasn’t ever really affected me or my experiences. I’ve never been ashamed to be American before. I still don’t know if ashamed is the right word to describe my emotion toward my nationality, but pride is certainly a far cry from what I’m feeling. I don’t know how we’ve convinced ourselves that we are greater or better than our neighbors around the world, or that what we do doesn’t affect them, or that their opinions don’t matter, but this view must be wrong. I’m not sure if our freedom is worth what we think it is. If the application of freedom on American soil means that Americans abroad, who don’t have the benefit of protection due to freedom of speech, are endangered, is that freedom real? And if so, is it worth it? Though free from legal repercussions for voicing our opinions, there is no freedom from the real life consequences of our actions.  

Anyway, those are some of the things that have been swirling around in my head over the past few days. This post is simply my thought process, me working through all of the difficult moments that I’ve been faced with recently.

7 comments:

  1. Well put, Aleena. I pray for your safety and that you can continue to leanrn and enjoy this experience without some jerk ruining it for you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Superb...should be published...get her okay to send it to the newspaper." ~Charlie
    (By the way...he was all teared up as he said that. Sappy geezer.) So, do we have your okay? He's committed to sending it to papers.

    But I concur. Your thoughts are so well articulated. You make me proud. Love you, ~mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aleena,

      Does make you pause to consider the impact the freedoms that we have here in America. Throughout the history of our world, ignorance has more often been the norm than the exception when it comes to understanding and reacting to another cultures point of view on each other.

      As you know, even within our own history, we have experienced and struggled with the divide of culture, race and religion.

      No matter how much we try as a world, we cannot conceive nor does not understand the mindset of radicalism. Whether you look at the American Revolution, the Arab Spring, the Bolshevik Revolution or any other revolt against tyranny, radicalism is radicalism.

      We can only appreciate its impact if we are in its midst. Our media does not tell us the entire story...it never has...and only from that personal experience can we appreciate it.

      So, my long words here, my dear Neice is simply acknowledge that you are in the midst of this turmoil...each side showing its ignorance and neither willing to concede. The danger you sense is compelling and draws great concern for you there.

      You are right to acknowledge that your skin makes you a target of the ignorance that is pervasive in the Muslim world or wherever Americans are disliked. The sadness here is that we are disliked too many places because our way of life, freedoms and government actions lump us all together without regard to you or me personally.

      Human nature forces us to jump to conclusions without information.

      So, my final thoughts for you are to seek out the guidance of your school officials on how you need to keep yourself distant from the turmoil around you. My hope is that the experience of your school officials and that of our country would assess the value of keeping you there in light of the situation around you. You are an easy target.

      The experience you have before you is important but not worth risking the rest of your life. Now, you know me, Aleena Beth, I don’t generally overreact to situations, but, the extremism that is around you does give me great pause for your well being. While I have never personally experienced it, my study of our world history, especially of European history, gives me a good sense of the turmoil around you.

      And you also know, your uncle Tim is a bit wordy and sappy too. Now, Auntie Beth would have me simply say to you…please be very careful and be smart about knowing where you are, who you are with and what you are doing!

      As I re-read this, it is a bit dark…so I apologize for its tone. Long day at the office dealing with my own version of ignorance and thus maybe coming from that a bit too. But, bottom line…we love you…proud of the brilliant young woman you are and hope and pray that your time in India turns into a more positive experience that these last few days has given you.

      By the way, Auntie Beth loves your outfits!

      XOXO

      Uncle Tim

      Delete
  3. Mama and Charlie: uhhh....sure, I guess you can send it to a paper. But it's formatted as a blog post and I feel like that would be really weird in a newspaper. But knock yourself out.

    Auntie Beth and Uncle Tim: I really have been in NO danger at all, I promise! I'm a few hours from the real protests and we've been checking the papers everyday and we stayed in our apartment area the one day there was trouble here. And when I talked about standing out in the crowd and being victimized I was more like talking about potential than what has actually happened to me. I'm totally fine. This has just been a very eye opening experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know. :)

      Lots of love,

      UT and AB

      Delete
  4. Oh Aleena - I love you. You have always been such a thinker. Before I read your mother's comments, I was also thinking that your words should get published. Stay safe and keep the blogs coming!

    Betina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello sweetie!

    It was so nice to read about your thoughts on your life in India , your regard for being an American, your thoughts about others ignorance, and your heightened sense of awareness for your surroundings.

    Years ago, when I was stationed in S. Korea in the Army, college students there were protesting American Military presence in that country. The color of my skin and my general "soldier look", make me a target as well and it was a bit unsettling. The bulk of the protests were about an hour away in Seoul, and some Americans were hurt. Even though it was on my mind quite often, I did feel safe so I believe you when you say you feel safe in Coimbatore.
    I am glad to hear that you have a heightened sense of awareness for your surroundings, taking note of the people who are around you, noticing where you are and the atmosphere you’re in. Keep that up sweetie, but enjoy, learn lots. And if you feel awkward in a given situation, LEAVE as soon as you can, and DON’T HESITATE.

    Enjoy the people of India, and keep learning & telling us all about it!

    I love you and will talk to you soon.

    ~Daddy

    ReplyDelete