Sunday, June 5, 2011

Le Dix-Huitième Jour, Vendredi. (The eighteenth day, Friday 6/3)

Friday was all about David. This is an exaggeration of course, but it seemed that most of our sites had to do with him. We were just in the area of his life I guess. That being said, our day started off with nothing to do with David. It was the excavation of Beer Sheva, where Abraham dug wells and all that jazz. There was a cool tower that we got to go up and look down at the site from, which is what I'm standing on in the picture below.
 
After coming down from the tower, I saw this giant lizard. Lizards are really common here, but this is one of the biggest I've seen on this trip!

At our next stop, we went down into a water cistern (at least I think it was something that was for the water, it always is when it's a cave...) Inside it was really big and echoey. When our eyes adjusted, we realized it wasn't even really that dark down there, but when we first went down it seemed PITCH BLACK and the floor was really uneven and full of rocks. It was scary! Down there we found a lovely crushed scorpion!
Andrea, Me, Taylor (her dad Tracy is lurking)



 After that we went to the location of David's fight with Goliath. We learned that David didn't pick up pebbles, he picked up stones (like the one in my hand in this picture....which you can't see very well because I'm holding it awkwardly :P), and that a slingman was accurate from 100 yards away and threw his stone at 100 miles per hour. Actually, I already knew that because I read it in my archaeology textbook during fall semester. But everyone ELSE was blown away by these facts. Basically, contrary to popular belief, David was not the underdog. In fact, he cheated because he brought a gun to a knife fight.


And honestly, it is currently 11:30 on Sunday night and it was a long day full of walking and my ankle/foot area is super swollen from having my knee wrapped all day and I am just plumb exhausted and I can't remember Friday in any more detail than this. So I guess this is just going to have to cut it.

1 comment:

  1. I suppose you're entitled to a night of plumb exhaustion. You've done well to keep us all updated and educated. Jonny will love the lizard and scorpion. I'll be sure he checks them out!
    xoxo ~mama
    p.s. nice color on you!

    ReplyDelete