Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Totes Inappropes.

Over the past several days, I have come to realize that my most basic instincts are probably what sets me apart from my fellow Bible school students the most. You see, almost all of the other students here seem to have a filter that I happen to be lacking. It's not that I'm totally obnoxious, nor that I can't control myself, but really I do things that simply don't fit into this world.


For instance, on Friday night, while bumbling along behind Alina as she picked up from youth group at Calvary Christian Church, I stumbled upon a cardboard cutout of Pastor Tim Schmidt. As many people do when they see cardboard cutouts, I immediately decided to take a picture with it. However, my driving force in this was not so pure.

You see, last semester, a certain teacher at my school accidentally mispronounced Pastor Tim's name while preaching during chapel. Thus, he referred to a well respected man as "Pastor Tim Shit" from the pulpit, in front of a couple hundred current and future ministers. It was hilarious. So I decided to send my picture with the cardboard cutout to this teacher with the caption "Hey, I met your buddy Pastor Tim Shit!" Which, if you know the teacher I sent it to, really isn't that big of a deal. Until he responded to the text by telling me that he opened it while on stage, speaking to 200 high schoolers at a 20 Hour Famine event. Ugh. It turns out he didn't really open it on stage, but he was at that event when I sent it to him. Sheesh.



And then, at lunch today as a different teacher was filling up his cup with Mountain Dew and giving me a hard time about something, I decided to respond with, "It's a good thing you already had your kids, because they say Mountain Dew kills your sperm!" Now, I honestly do not know what possessed me to say that to this man. The nanosecond it came out of my mouth I could not believe that I had done it. Luckily, he took it completely in stride and made some dismissive remark about how he was definitely all done having children now so he was safe. I am still a little shaken up about having said that. Sometimes I just don't know what to do with myself.

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha that is hilarious! well, both of those filter-lacking scenarios are to me, anyway! I think that it's not you're fault...my theory is that genetically, our whole family is lacking that filter..but hey, we have a great sense of humor in return! I love you and your filterless-ness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what? genetic? our whole family is missing that filter? I can't imagine how Britt came up with this theory. ;)
    Okay, okay, so I've been there; done that....a time or two.
    But your filter-less slips make for years of story-telling and belly laughs. Nice!
    Love you and your lack of filter, too,
    oxoxoxo ~mama

    ReplyDelete